Monday 26 August 2013

My Top 20 Albums that I currently listen to Part 2

Now that I am in part 2 of the post I realise how difficult it is to write about music. For me, music is all about feelings and thus, strong feelings cannot be described even when you are using the most beautiful words. Anyway, I am doing my best recommending five more albums...

15."Gravez" by Hooded Fang

A few months ago while I was spending time in spotify it was proposed to me a  playlist from Domino Records. It was quite obvious  that I wanted to check up on that list since this specific record company has "embraced" a plethora of remarkable artists. The song that was instinctively chosen to get to the list of favorites was the "Bye Bye Land" by Hooded Fang. So I started listening the whole album carefully and I was thrilled. It was a beautiful revelation. Their sound reminds me of the "Strokes" but they still have something unique. A mix of guitars and electronic sounds makes this album rather versatile with several post-punk elements. Certainly it belongs to the category of albums that you never get bored of. It's always nice for the alternative music scene to be renewed, especially with notably promising bands like Hooded Fang. I really look forward seeing them in September playing live. I am pretty sure that I  will not be disappointed. The most difficult part in this review is to choose favorite tracks. Oh yes, it is that good.

Favourite tracks:Wasteland/Bye Bye Land/Graves/Sailor Bull

If you want to impress listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhN_miVeJOc

14."Push the Sky Away" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

It is rather unnecessary to make any introductions about Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. His deep voice and haunted lyrics are to the fore of the music scene the last 30 years. I really get tempted to start talking about the influences of his music in my life, but I won't do it, at least not in this post. I can happily -and relieved- say that his new album it is far away from being disappointing. To be more accurate it is great. It is a mature album that generously offers you a bunch of tears. It is impossible not ti be moved with the story of the prostitute in "Jubille Street", not to have a knot in your stomach like being punched when you hear the desperation in the song "We No Who U R" and the broken confidence in the song "We real Cool". My eternally beloved Nick Cave could not be absent from my list of the albums I listen to mostly. I highly recommend it and I am pretty sure that you will love it as much as I did.

Favourite tracks:We No Who U R/We real Cool/Jubilee Street/Mermaids

Listen to this great song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjF57zEbxpI

13."Enjoy it while it lasts" by Spector

It was a rainy afternoon in Glasgow, making a wee research about the financial crisis.In order to concentrate I turned on to listen to a local station. It was proved not such a good idea as out of the blue I stopped doing what I was doing due to a beautiful song. I wanted to listen to it carefully so as to find more details in case the radio producer wouldn't mention anything afterwards. That song was "Chevy Thunder" by Spector. My "basic" instincts led me to a listening of the whole album. The guys could be described in a way, as the "saviours" of indie  music. They have neither misery nor whining as most indie bands have these day while they were perfectly capable to include sensitivity and emotions in their song. An album that works as a reminder that Britain is the birthplace of great bands and artists. While listening to it, it's really hard not to sing loud "Drive, Drive, Drive" in "Chevy Thunder", you can't avoid feeling optimistic when you listen to "Twenty Nothing". The anticipation of going out when you were in your 20s is so beautifully reminded in the song "Friday Night, don't ever let it end". Eventually the song "Grey Shirt & Tie" depicts perfectly the determination that you have when you want someone really bad. If you are a fan of indie music then you will really enjoy this album.

Favourite tracks: Chevy Thunder/True Love/ Friday Night, don't ever let it end/Twenty Nothing/ Never fade away

Sing loud:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW_HMJLKHso

12."All this time" by Terror Bird

Ok, I admit it, "Monorail" is one of favourite places to be. Although it always costs me to be there, since I can't control myself and end up buying plenty of music. "Monorail" is a small independent record shop with a great collection of vinyls and CDs, not to mention the amazing people who work there. It was in one of my visits there that I found this album. I was über excited since I thought that I would have to order this one. So if you enjoy a good electronic sound along with a  beautiful female voice then this is the perfect album for you. The vocals remind me the way that Marianne Faithful was singing, the same voice "breaking" due to emotional distress. In the background the voice is enhanced with minimalistic electronic music. The album's sound cannot be classified easily to a genre. After all I never liked "labels" in anything. The only problem with this great album is that it's hard to find a hard copy of it. My advice? listen to it and you won't regret it! It surely deserves a place in your music collection.

Favourite tracks:The Wrong Way/On your vacation/All this time/Do you remember/Lust&Violence

Listen to the first track of the album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaJhpNz2Xb4

11."Mosquito" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs

One of the great bands of New York is back with new material. Another album based in electronic sound but with more attitude, rougher sound and harsher vocals than the previous one. It is rather promising since the band hasn't lost its distinctive characteristics. The song "Mosquito" is so energetic that you start to dance and sing-along even though you don't know any of the lyrics (beside the word "mosquito"). The song "Under the Earth" is really melancholic and quite dark but it strangely makes you listen to it again and again. The song "Area 52"with its aliens sends you in outer space with its strange lyrics and eerie sound elements. The last song of the album "Despair" is a self-explanatory one, seriously, no comments can be made with this title. It is an album with constant mood changes and I really do believe that it is a "must" for your music collection if you belong to the category of people who get easily bored. Trust me, that will definitely not going to happen with this album.

Favourite tracks:Mosquito/Area 52/Despair/Under the Earth/Sacrilege/These Paths

Listen to this song in a maximum sound volume:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dx8aLDJrAY

No comments:

Post a Comment