Sunday 25 August 2013

My Top 20 Albums that I currently listen to Part 1

I am not a music critic, because no one can be. The musical experience is different and unique for each one of us. All I would do is to propose a few albums that I listen to this period and you will be the judges of what you like or not. I have to admit that maybe is not even a proposition but rather is a sharing of my feelings that these albums give to me, with you. I hope that you will enjoy them...

20."Of this and other world" by Hidden Masters

This band pleasantly surprised me. Their album got into my attention when the manager of the charity shop that I am volunteering to gave it to me so as to listen to it. After all she had noticed my M.A.. (Music Addiction Disorder) and the front man is her boyfriend. Their psychedelic guitars put you into a time machine and send you back to the 60s. The songs are well worked and they include tremendous quantities of melancholy and nostalgia. The song "Nobody Knows that we are here" was the first  one that I really really liked. Subconsciously gives you a desire of grabbing the hand of the object of affection and drag him in a place where no people will be able to find you, and then the two of you start to run eternally until you discover this magical place where you can hide. It is obvious that this is my favourite song but that does not mean that there are no other remarkable songs. For example "Last days of the Sun" with rougher guitars is a song that automatically gives you an air playing guitar mood. You should definitely give it a try.

Favourite songs:Nobody Knows that we are here/Last days of the sun/ Grey Walls Grey

Have a taste:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBa7vAc0AKg

19."Volume 3" by She & Him

Z.Deschanel is one of the sweetest people in show biz and you can understand it clearly in the sound of their new album. When you hear it is giving you the sense of the revival of Supremes and Dusty Springfield only to be more cynical on love matters this time. It is strongly influenced by 50s music and it can be confirmed by their cover of "Hold me, thrill me, kiss me" (Harry Noble-1952) which is heart-captivating. Furthermore if you want to hear how it would be if "Blondie" had a vintage sound there is the cover of "Sunday Girl". How can you describe this album?Probably like a dangerous weapon in a man's hands that if it is used it without caution, good intentions and in a great extent it can destroy many women's hearts. I know that I should not have exposed such a powerful weapon especially when it can be used against my own sex since the probabilities are that it will be misused. But boys don't forget: With great power come great responsibilities so use this album properly.

Favourite songs: Baby/Never wanted your love/Together/Hold me, thrill me, kiss

Listen to "Never wanted your love" here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdJbqGeYM6E

18."No one can ever know" by Twilight Sad

Are you a fan of the electronic sound? If yes then get ready to get carried away with this album. With strong Glasgwegian accent the "Twilight Sad" sing about despair accompanied by an erotic melancholy. I was fortunate enough to listen to them playing live twice this summer and it was there where the band enchanted me. While listening to their songs you get transported back to the darkness of your teenage thoughts. The pain of  an unfulfilled love that during your teenage years seems insufferable is captured beautifully in their dark songs. The song "another bed" reminds you how hard it can be to want someone so bad. The song "don't move" transfers you to the most violent thoughts of possessiveness of your desire. As for the song "Nil" its melancholic lyrics are simply enchanting since the first listen. It is an album that spontaneously gives you the urge to put the repeat mode in your playlist. It will be such a shame not to give the proper attention to this album... a great music experience will evade you if you don't.

Favourite songs: Nil/Another Bed/Don't Move/Don't look at me

Enjoy freely some despair by listening here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PMWxmT3zNU

17."Bass Drum of Death" by Bass Drum of Death

Why do I like this album? Maybe it is because their sound gives me the impression of a new version of the Buzzcocks. Maybe it is because I'm still a fan of punk music and the album is filled strongly with sounds of this genre. Maybe is it because of its perception in love. Probably it is the combination of the previously referred.  I never stopped being in love with the sound of rough guitars, fast drums, the mechanically altered voices that sounds like a scratched vinyl. These are the elements that drive you-no matter your age- to jump around in your room while the music is to the maximum level of volume and care about nothing. All these are generously offered with this album. Once you hear it you are directly transferred to the basement of a small local club where the band plays music in the same level with the crowd while you endanger yourself getting a severe neck injury due to the headbanging. The tension in the rhythm of this album made me feel almost a decade younger . So if you want to reclaim your wild years or you want to be introduced to harder guitar sounds then this album is your help to either. Especially the song "(You'll never) be so wrong" is one of the best (always talking from my point of view) since it strongly reminded me one beloved band "The Men".

Favourite songs: (You'll never) be so wrong/crawling after you/shattered me/I wanna be forgotten

Dedicate this song to someone who is worth it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6i8x1TUGZg

16."Trouble will find me" by The National

The "National" is one of the bands that accompanied me musically for many years especially during my melancholic moments. After a prolonged absence they are back with a new album. The majority of reviews that I've read are saying that their new album is a shadow of their magnificent past. Personally, I believe that you shouldn't make comparisons with the past because people are evolving and hence their music changes. However, I find this album beautiful (note I am not an expert just a fan of music). Melancholic enough captivates you with the song "I should live in Salt" and then becomes even sadder with "This is the last time" and "Pink Rabbits". There are some more "cheerful" tracks (as long as you can use this word for an album of The National") which definitely are not dance-y. The song "Sea of ​​Love" reminds you fondly why you loved this band for so many years. My favourite song is "Graceless" and I don't think that I can describe why I like it...it is always so difficult to find a logical reason to use to justify your opinion. Usually it is something trivial. Anyway, it is an album that fits perfectly with a bottle of good wine, a pack of cigarettes and loads of memories.

Favourite songs: Graceless/Sea of Love/Fireproof/Humiliation

You can judge a band only when you hear them playing live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ZcZuUQxQk




No comments:

Post a Comment